Mor Kulambu is a traditional South Indian curry recipe made with yogurt / curd and coconut. It is often had during summer days because this recipe is refreshing and makes us feel much better under hot sun. Instead of just drinking buttermilk and having curd for rice this Mor Kuzhambu will make us enjoy our meal and feel complete.
We can add vegetables to this kulambu to make it more tastier, we can use cucumber, pumpkin or even okra, We need to fry or saute Okra / vendakkai in oil before adding to the curry to make vendakkai mor Kulambu while the others can be added directly.
Please click here to watch Mor Kulambu Recipe in Tamil - Madras Samayal
Preparation Time : 5 min
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
|Quantity||Ingredients for Mor Kuzhambu Recipe|
|1 Cup||Thick Curd / Yogurt / Thayir|
|1/2 tsp||Turmeric Powder|
|1.5 cup||Water , salt to taste|
|1/2 cup||grated Coconut|
|1||small piece of ginger|
|1 tbsp||Channa dal / Kadalai paruppu|
|1/2 tsp||Cumin Seeds|
|1/8 tsp||Mustard Seeds|
|1/2 tsp||skinless black gram / Ulunthu|
|3||dry red chilies|
|1/8 tsp||Asafoetida / Kaayam|
Step 1) Cooking Cucumber:
Cook cucumber in water until it turns transparent. Once the cucumber is fully cooked (if you press it with a spoon it should break) add salt , turmeric powder and mix well.
Step 2) Coconut Base:
Grind grated coconut, shallots, ginger, cumin seeds, green chilies and chana dal with some water and make it into a very smooth paste. Soak the chana dal for 20 minutes before adding.
Step 3) Coconut Base:
Add the coconut base to the cooked vegetable and let it come to a boil. Once you see the kulambu boiling turn off the heat and keep it aside to cool a bit.
Step 4) Tempering:
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, dry red chilies and hing. once the dal changes it color to golden turn off the heat.
Step 5) More Kulambu:
Once cooled add the yogurt / thayir add the tempering to the curry and mix well.
Before adding the yogurt beat it well to ensure no lumps, it should be smooth.
- We can use pumpkin or lady's finger instead of cucumber
- In case of lady's finger fry or saute them in oil first and then add it to the kulambu to make vendakkai more kulambu.
- Adding Chana dal helps to thicken the curry a little bit
- if you have no time to soak chana dal then you can use roasted channa dal (pottu kadalai) directly
- Do not add yogurt and then boil the kulambu for a long time the yogurt may curdle.
- More Kulambu recipe tastes best when it is served cold.
Mor Kulamu is a traditional recipe of south India enjoyed during summer season. It is made with Yogurt ,coconut base and some vegetables.We can add vendakkai to this recipe and vendakkai more kulambu . This recipe is refreshing and makes us feel more fresh and hyderated during summer days.
Rated 4.5/5 based on 48 reviews
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 cup Water For Grinding
- 1/2 cup grated Coconut
- 3 Green Chilies
- 2 Shallots
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds For Tempering
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/8 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp skinless black gram
- 3 dry red chilies
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- few Curry leaves
Instructions for mor Kulambu Recipe:
- Cook Cucumber thoroughly and add turmeric and salt
- make coconut base with the above mentioned ingredients under grinding
- Add the coconut base and let it boil. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool
- Prepare the tempering
- Once cooled add the curd and the tempering. Mix well and turn off the heat
- Our More Kuzhambu Recipe ready to be enjoyed with rice.
0 comments :
Post a Comment