Preparation Time : 60 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
|Quantity||Ingredients for Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu|
|For Paruppu Urundai|
|3/4 cup||Toor dal / Thuvaram paruppu|
|1/4 cup||Channa Dal / Chickpea / Kadalai paruppu|
|1 tsp||Fennel seeds|
|3||dry red chilies|
|10-12||Shallots (small onions)|
|3 tbsp||Coriander leaves|
|Salt to taste|
|For Paruppu Urundai Kulambu|
|1/4 tsp||Mustard seeds|
|1/2 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|1/2 tsp||Fennel seeds|
|15||Shallots (small onions)|
|1/2 tsp||Turmeric powder|
|2 tsp||Coriander powder|
|2 tsp||Chili powder or to taste|
|Tamarind extract (lemon size)|
|1/4 cup||grated Coconut|
|Salt to taste|
Step 1) Dal for Paruppu Urundai:
Wash and soak Toor dal and Channa dal in water for 1 - 2 hours. Drain the water and transfer it to a blender also add fennel seeds and dry red chilies, grind it to a coarse - fine paste without adding any water.
Step 2) Paruppu Urundai Mix:
Transfter the dal mix to a bowl and add finely chopped shallots (small onions) , shallots gives nice taste to the recipe, also add chopped coriander leaves and salt. Mix it well and form small balls out of it .Leave a small portion of the mix (we will add later in the curry to thicken the base)
Step 3) Steaming:
Steam the urundai / dal balls on a idli plate for 10 -12 minutes. Grease the idli pan with some oil before placing the balls (optional).
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, once the seeds splutter add cumin seeds and fennel seeds, give it a stir and add garlic then shallots (cut into small pieces) , saute it for 2 minutes and then add the masalas - turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder.
Step 5) Tomato and Tamarind:
Add chopped tomato and then add tamarind extract ( small lemon size tamarind soaked in water for 20 minutes) , the left over urundai mix / dal mix , required water, required salt and cook for 5 - 6 minutes.
Step 6) Coconut base:
In the meanwhile grind coconut with some water and keep it aside, coconut adds richness and creaminess to the recipe, it also thickens the base.
Step 7) Making Paruppu Urundai Kulambu:
Add the coconut mixture to the curry and cook for 2 more minutes.Once done add the cooked balls and cook for another 4 - 5 minutes on a medium heat. Finally garnish it with curry leaves.
That's it our Paruppu Urundia Kuzhambu is ready, let the balls soak for 10 - 15 minutes in the gravy before serving, so that the balls become soft by absorbing the gravy . Please so try the recipe and share your feedback with us, Spread the Joy of Cooking !!!
- I have used 3/4 cup toor dal and 1/4 cup channa dal you can adjust the ratio according to your taste or you can also make simply with toor dal or channa dal.
- We can add the balls directly into the gravy as well without steaming
- Adding some urundai mix directly to the gravy thickens the base and gives nice taste to the recipe.
- At the end you can add a piece of jaggey to adjust the sourness from the tamarind.
- This paruppu Urundai Kuzhamu tastes wonderful when served on the next day as well.
Paruppu Urundai Kulzhambu is a perfect side dish recipe for rice, chapathi, idli and dosa. This is an authentic recipe of Tamil Nadu made by steaming the paruppu urundai / dal balls for 10- 12 minutes and then added to the base to make paruppu urundai Kulambu.
For Paruppu Urundai:
- 3/4 cup Toor dal
- 1/4 cup Channa Dal
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 3 dry red chilies
- 10-12 Shallots
- Coriander leaves
- required salt For Paruppu Urundai Kulambu:
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 15 Shallots
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 Tomato
- Tamarind extract
- 1/4 cup grated Coconut
- required Water
- Salt to Taste
- Curry leaves
- Soak dal in water and grind it along with fennel, red chilies
- mix onions and coriander leaves with the dal mix and make small balls out of it
- steam the balls for 10 -12 minutes.
- Make the base using the ingredients under" base"
- add the paruppu urundai and cook for 4 5 minutes.
- Our Paruppu Urundai Kulambu is ready to be served.