Serving Size : 6 people
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
|Quantity||Ingredients for Tiffin Sambar Recipe|
|1/2 Cup||Thoor dal / Thuvaram Paruppu|
|1 tbsp||Channa Dal / Kadalai Paruppu|
|1 tbsp||Coriander seeds|
|1/2 tsp||Cumin Seeds|
|5-6||Dry red chilies|
|1/8 tsp||Mustard seeds|
|1/4 tsp||Fenugreek seeds|
|3||Dry red chilies|
|1/2 tsp||Turmeric powder|
|1/8 tsp||Asafoetida / Kaayam|
|10-15||Shallots / small onions|
|1 ball||Tamarind (lemon size)|
|handful||Coriander leaves for garnishing|
Step 1) Dal and Pumpkin:
Pressure cook Thoor dal and pumpkin with water for 4-5 whistles (cut the pumpkin into small pieces and add) You can also add vegetables like carrot, potatoes , brinjal, drumsticks instead of pumpkin.
Mash it with a spoon and keep it aside.
Our Delicious Hotel style sambar is ready to be enjoyed with a plate of Idli, Dosa or with pongal. As i mentioned earlier this is really easy to make and that's why it is called as arachuvitta sambar in Tamil.
- While roasting the spices be careful not to burn and at the same time if it is not well roasted then the coriander smells raw in the Sambar.
- Pumpkin adds some sweetness to the recipe if you are not adding pumpkin then add a small piece of jaggery to balance the taste.
- Adding Ghee enhances the flavor and aroma of the sambar
- You can also add Carrot, Potato, brinjal - any vegetables of your choice.
Tiffin sambar is a tradition recipe of south India served in all the hotels and restaurants with breakfast recipes like Idli, Dosa, Vada and pongal. This is really simple and and very easy to make recipe with very few ingredients.
- 1/2 Cup Thoor dal
- 3/4 cup Pumpkin For Roasting:
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Channa Dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 5-6 Dry red chilies For Sambar:
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 3 Dry red chilies
- few Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 10-15 Shallots
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Green Chilies
- required Water
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Pressure cook Dal and pumpkin
- roast the ingredients for the sambar powder and grind it to a fine powder
- Temper and add shallots, tomato,sambar powder, cooked dal, tamarind extract , water and salt
- Bring ot to boil and add chopped coriander leaves for garnishing and turn off the heat
- Finally add some ghee to enhance the flavor
- Our Hotel sambar / Tiffin sambar is ready to be served