In our food court in HCL we have Rahman Biryani which is very famous for its Brinjal curry, I am a huge fan of their recipe and I always wanted to try one, but unfortunately I couldn't get the perfect recipes for years. Finally I got this recipe from my Mother-in-law , she made this delicious ennai kathirikai for Christmas as a side dish for biryani . From that day on I follow her recipe to make this delicious Ennai Kathirikai Kuzhambu whenever I make biryani.
Click here to watch Ennai Kathirikai Kulambu in Tamil - Madras Samayal.
Serving Size : 4 people
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 25 minutes
|Quantity||Ingredients for Ennai Kathirikai Kulambu|
|1/2 tsp||Turmeric powder|
|1 tbsp||Coriander Powder|
|1 tbsp||Red Chilli powder|
|2 tbsp||Grated coconut|
|1 tsp||cumin seeds|
|1 tsp||Fennel Seeds|
|For Brinjal Curry|
|1/8 tsp||Mustard seeds|
|1/4 tsp||Fenugreek seeds|
|2||dry red chilies|
|10||shallots / small Onion|
|Tamarind ( small lemon size)|
|Salt to Taste|
|8||Brinjal / Kathirikai|
Step 1) Masala:
Heat oil in a kadai and add the sliced onions and saute it for a couple of minutes, Once the onions turns translucent add ginger and garlic and the masalas - turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder. Give it a stir and cook for a minute.
Once the mixture is cooled add grated coconut, cumin seeds ,fennel seeds and grind it to a fine paste.
Make X cut at the bottom of the brinjal , if the stem of the brinjal is very tender then you can use the stem else discard the stems.
Heat oil in a pan and fry the brinjal on a medium heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
That's it our Ennai Kathirikai Kulambu is ready to be served as a side dish for Biryani, Not only for biryani it also goes excellent with Rice, chapathi and idli too.Please do try the recipe and share your feedback with us. Happy Cooking !!!
- Use small size brinjals for best results.
- If you are using large brinjals then cut them into 4 pieces and add fry it for even cooking
- Add a small amount of jaggery to balance the taste if needed.
- The consistency of the recipe can be adjusted according to your preference, more water - kulambu / curry OR less water gravy / masala.
Ennai Kathirikai Kulambu is a very famous recipe of Tamil Nadu served as a side dish for Biryani , It also goes excellent with rice, chapathi and idli. Brinjal is first fried in oil and then added to the gravy which adds more taste to the kulambu.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 Onions
- 2 Tomatoes
- 4 Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli powder
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds For Brinjal Curry:
- 4-5 tbsp Oil
- 1/8 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 dry red chilies
- few Curry leaves
- 10 shallots / small Onion
- Tamarind ( small lemon size)
- Salt to Taste
- Required water
- 8 Brinjal / Kathirikai
- Add oil and saute onions, masala and tomatoes
- grind the mixture along with coconut, fennel and cumin seeds
- heat oil and fry the brinjal.
- now in the same oil temper and then add the masala and cook until oil separates.
- Add tamarind extract, water and salt
- Add fried brinjal and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Our Ennai Kathirikai Kuzhambu is ready to be enjoyed with Biryani and rice