Serving Size : 4
Soaking Time : 4 hours
Cooking Time : 20 min
|Quantity||Ingredients for Medu Vada Recipe|
|1 cup||Urad Dal / Ulunthu|
|1 spring||Curry leaves|
|1/4 tsp||Asafoetida powder / Perunkaayam|
|Salt to taste|
|Oil for frying|
Wash and soak Urad dal in water for 3-4 hours. Drain the water completely and add it to a blender, sprinkle some water and grind it to a very soft and fluffy batter. Do not add too much of water while grinding , add little by little and grind to make a smooth batter
Step 2) Vada Batter:
Transfer the batter to a bowl and add finely chopped Ginger, Green chilies, pepper corns, curry leaves, Onions and asafoetida powder. Finally add salt and mix well. Beat it nicely with hands to incorporate air into the batter to make it light so that the vadas turns out fuffy and light.
Step 3) Frying:
Wet your hand with water and take some batter , make a small ball and make a small hole at the center with your hands.
Drop it the oil over medium heat. Turn the vadas halfway through and fry until both the sides are golden brown and crispy.
That's it our Delicious Medu vadai is ready to be enjoyed with Chutney and a cup of hot tea or with breakfast recipes.Happy Cooking !!!
- If the batter is little watery add 1 tbsp of rice flour to correct it (do not add too much of rice flour, the vadas turns hard)
- You can add chopped coriander leaves if you like the flavor.
- Oil should be on medium heat, if it is on low heat then the vada absorbs lot of oil and will not be crispy.
Medu Vada also known as Ulundu Vadi is a popular and traditional recipe of Tamil Nadu made with Urad dal / ulunthu. This delicious crunchy vada is often served as a side along with Pongal, Idli and Dosa, and also during tea time as snack with some coconut chutney.
- For Medu Vada Recipe
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 1 piece Ginger
- 10-15 pepper corns
- 3 green chilies
- Curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Onion
- Salt to taste
- Soak the Dal for 3-4 hours and grind to a fine paste
- Add all other ingredients and mix well.
- Wet your hands and make medium size ball and make a small hole with thumb
- Fry until golden brown
- Our crunchy and delicious Medu vadai is ready to be enjoyed with coconut chutney