Please click here to watch Karuvadu Kulambu in Tamil : கருவாட்டு குழம்பு
Serving Size : 4 people
Preparation Time : 30 mins
Cooking Time : 30 mins
Ingredients for Dry fish Kulambu
Dry fish / Karuvadu / any variety
|For Karuvattu masala / Dry fish Masala|
Fenugreek seeds / Venthayam
|1 tsp||Pepper corns / Milagu|
|1 tsp||Cumin Seeds / Jeeragam|
|10-12||Shallots / chinna vengayam|
|1/4 tsp||Turmeric powder|
|3 tsp||Coriander Powder|
|1 cup||Grated Coconut|
|For Karuvadu Kulambu / Dry Fish Curry|
|1/4 tsp||Mustard seeds|
Brinjal / eggplant
|Lemon size tamarind soaked in water / nellikai size Pulli|
Salt to taste
Step 3) Then transfer the ingredients to a blender and also also add grated coconut to it and grind it to a very smooth paste. use fresh coconut for the recipe desiccated coconut doesn't not taste good for this recipe.
Step 4) Now to make karuvattu kulambu heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, once the seeds crackle add brinjal and drumstick.Cook this for 3 minutes or until the brinjal turns soft.once soft add green chilies and also add the ground coconut masala mixture.Then add tamarind extract and required water. (I rinsed the pot with some water after sauteing the masalas and added ).
Most of the dry fish comes with salt so check for salt and then add salt to the curry.
- Soak the dry fish in cold water for 15 -20 minutes before adding into the curry. This makes the dry fish to soften.
- You can add mangoes to add extra taste,If you are adding mangoes then reduce the amount of tamarind used.
- You can use any dry fish of your choice.
Karuvattu Kulambu / Dry fish curry is a very easy and tasty recipe which can be made at home.This is an excellent side dish for dosa, idly and also goes very well with rice it smells really delicious and will invite you from miles.
For Karuvadu Masala / Dry fish Masala
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp pepper corns
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 10-12 shallots
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup Grated coconut
For Karuvadu Kulambu / Dry fish Curry
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Brinjal / eggplant
- 1 Drumstick
- 2 Green Chilies
- tamarind extract
- Salt to taste
- Curry Leaves
- heat oil and add all the ingredients listed below Dry fish Masala except coconut and cook for few minutes until shallots and tomato turns soft
- Grind the masala along with coconut and keep it aside
- Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds,then add eggplant and drumstick and cook for few minutes
- Then add the coconut masala mixture, tamarind extract, water and salt
- once the gravy comes to a boil add the dry fish and coo for 10-15 minutes
- Finally garnish the Dry fish Curry with some curry leaves
- Our Delicious Karuvattu Kulambu is ready to be served with rice.